Skip to content

A Rule of Thumb on Filling your Product

In the realm of Cosmetics and Personal Care, the norm is to fill containers up to approximately 90% of their capacity, leaving a10% headspace for many reasons:

  1. Accommodates Expansion: Most substances, especially liquids, can expand or contract with temperature variations. An overfilled vessel might rupture or leak due to expansion.
  2. Prevents Pressure Build-up: A fully sealed, overfilled container might accumulate internal pressure, particularly if its contents produce gases. This poses the risk of the vessel bursting.
  3. Facilitates Dispensing: An appropriately filled vessel ensures ease and neatness when dispensing or pouring the product.
  4. Allows for Agitation: Some products need to be shaken or mixed prior to use. Headspace ensures effective agitation without overflow.
  5. Ensures Consistent Quantity: To avoid potential discrepancies and legal implications related to measurements, a standardized filling process is implemented.
  6. Enhances Aesthetics: At times, a little space can elevate the product's perceived value, especially in upscale markets.
  7. Assures Safe Transport: A vessel filled to the right level is less likely to leak or break during transportation.